Ad sense auto

Google analytics

Monday, December 31, 2018

Making an old looking bed for a dollhouse from coasters

In this picture you can see the two coasters I cut down to make a headboard and footboard.  I also used wood from a closet door which are the slats of wood that always fall out.  You know which doors I’m talking about they never stay together, if you see them on the garbage take them home those slats of wood are great for making items.  I made the two frame slats for the sides of the bed and also cut two pieces to glue on the side slats that the mattress is going to sit on.

If you have magazines you can find beautiful pictures to mod podge on the wood, I used this magazine for pictures. They have beautiful items.


Here’s the pictures I found for the bed the two angels for the headboard and a sleeping angel for the footboard. I also spotted a powder room sign that I’m going to use to make a plaque for the little bathroom in the dollhouse.  I’ll post that also when I do it.
In this picture you can see I glued on the side rails, I made sure to measure the length using one of the small dolls.

This is the glue I used, I mix flour with wood glue to make a great glue.  Once this dries it’s as hard as a rock, it’s also good for filling cracks and also fixing outdoor statues, who knew right?
In this picture I glued on the little long pieces of slats onto the larger ones to hold up the mattress.  These clamps I buy at a flea market they are cheap and great for small projects.
In this picture you can see I mod podged on the pictures.



Once I mod podged them on I brush the whole area over the picture and the wood with mod podge to seal it.  Then I take watered down brown paint and use my finger to put a little over the area to give it an aged look I also put some watered down black paint on just the wood not over the pictures.  I use my finger to take some off too.

You can see I also use folk art #577 metallic Sahara gold paint to make some detailing on it.  Older furniture always has some gold detailing on it.



Another picture that you can see the detailing.
These are the paints I used.
I love making my own mattresses.  I use a piece of cardboard cut down to the size I need to fit the inside but I cut it a little smaller once you add the stuffing on top and than the material it takes up space.  First the cardboard then on top of that I hot glue down a piece of the material that is used to make square pillows, this material is thick so I pull it apart in the middle to make two pieces of it and use one piece.  Then I use a mattress cover material to wrap around the top around to the underside hot gluing it down as I put it on.  Then it gets glued down onto the two boards on the inside wall of the frame.  Make sure you check the fit of it before gluing it down.  Remember to cut the cardboard smaller in the beginning or you will find it’s to big to fit on the inside once your done.

These are the supplies that I used to create this project.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases 





No comments:

Post a Comment