Ad sense auto

Google analytics

Friday, March 22, 2019

Making a quilters themed solar light using a bubble gum machine


I love these bubblegum machines they make great displays for that special item in your garden or house.  Today I’m going to make a quilters display for the garden using this bubblegum machine. First, you need to take out all the pieces on the inside (this bubblegum machine didn’t work).


I had my son cut off the metal nub on the inside of the lid with his Dremel.  You need to do this for the solar light, so the light shines into the display instead of concentrating light in one spot.


After taking out all the pieces, this is what it looks like on the inside.


Next I used a Styrofoam sheet to make a floor for the inside.  I had to cut two pieces which I glued together.


I needed to cut a hard piece of cardboard to use for the floor on top of the Styrofoam. I used a piece from a checker board. It was bought at a garage sale for cheap (missing pieces).


I then glued a piece of material to glue on top of the cardboard to give it a finished look. Next I glued the whole thing down onto the Styrofoam.  Finally I glued down the plastic sealer that came with the bubblegum machine.  It holds the glass dome in place.


First, picked out the items I wanted in the glass dome.  I ended up picking out two quilters sitting at a table, a dog and two little candlesticks. Which were made from two buttons for the base, two blue beads and two pieces of stiff white wire material for the wicks.  I glued these all together to make the candles.  Remember a lot of times quilters work till all hours of the night they need candles.


I made sure I hot glued down all the different items I used for the theme.  Then I hot glued down the globe to the top and the red cap. Now, for the light.


In Walmart they sell 97 cent solar lights and all you need is this piece off the top. This is where the LED is and the solar panel.  Make sure you put a little hot glue to hold it down into place.


This is what it looks like lit up.  These type of lights are unique and look beautiful in a garden, and best of all no electric bill! Use your imagination and it will soar!


No comments:

Post a Comment