Ad sense auto

Google analytics

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dollhouse refurbish you have to see it!! Will save you money on supplies.

 
I almost forgot to take pictures, so in the picture you can see a green frame of a dollhouse.  When I first got it the color was white and had no roof.  I added a roof out of plywood wood material.  I kept one of the sides open some so you could access into the attic area.  I painted the house a nice green color.
 
 

 
This is the area I kept open on the roof so you can get access to the attic area.



This is the other side of the roof.  You can also see a chimney which is made of a 2x4 cut down to the size I needed.  I first painted it red and added lines to look like bricks.  




I went to the dollar store and purchased some items which you will see the first one is this splatter screen.  I will be using this for the screens on the windows.  This is so much cheaper than purchasing windows.



 
This is what the splatter screen looks like.



 
I then went to another store and purchased hot laminating pouches which I will be using to make glass looking windows.



 
The first thing I started with was building some shutters for on the house.  I took three colored popsicle sticks and put them down next to each other, and glued on three short pieces across the tops of them.  These look like the old shutters on a home.



 
In the picture this is the front of the house.  The windows I framed out around the openings with popsicle sticks.  On the top portion I hot glued the fake window plastic that I showed you earlier and the bottom of the window I hot glued the screen that I showed you earlier. I had to cut both the plastic and screen to match the areas.  You will see the inside of the windows where I installed the two pieces for the windows.  Next to the windows is the shutters I made.



This is the back of this home it is so plain, what until it's done you'll see how beautiful it looks.  You can see the 2x4 that was painted to look like a chimney.





This is the side of this dollhouse.  When I first got it there was nothing here but an overhang that was white.  So the first thing I did was install a base for a deck.  I needed to make it look as if the overhang needed poles to hold it up. So I took two wooden dowels and added wooden pieces on the bottoms that look like a spool from thread.  I bought these at a craft store they were wooden spools.  I also took rocks and glued them around the base to look like a rock foundation.  I also build this around the dollhouse base to look like a foundation wall.  I painted the roof area and floor a darker red shade.  I also will be painting the dowels and wooden spools red.





This is what the wooden spools look like close up.




These are the wooden dowels.




This is the side of the dollhouse.  As you can see I've also added two picture hangers under the roof and hung up two small wooden pails.  I also made a fence out of thin stirrers sticks and dowels.  I added some wooden balls to the tops of the posts.  I also had purchased the wooden piece above the entrance way from the craft store.  This piece was unpainted when I purchased it, so I added blue paint and white and wrote Red Chimney Homestead on it. 



This wooden piece I will be using to make a stained glass window for the front of this house.



This is what the wooden piece looked like that I made a sign out of before I painted it.  You can also see one of the stirrers I used for making the fence.



These are the rocks that I used to make the old foundation.



If any of you have ever put a dollhouse together you know its not easy.  However, when it comes down to adding the finishing touches the price of the dollhouse goes UP UP UP.
The roof shingles are EXPENSIVE!  Well I'm going to show you how to make them cheaper!  In this picture you will see the bottom cardboard tray that you get on the bottom of water bottles when you purchase water.  I used one template of a roof shingle and traced it over and over until the whole sheet had them.




This is my roof shingles template that I have, I use this to copy off of for the cardboard.





This is a close up of the traced roof shingles.



Check this out this is what the cardboard roof shingles look like when you start installing them.  I hot glued them all on.  You will see what they look like when they are all installed.




This is a fake stained glass window I made for the front of this house, you will see this in the pictures to come.  The material I used for the window you will see in one of the photos above.  I took the oval shape wooden piece and added some plastic pieces which came from the dollar store.  The plastic I used was pencil cases, I cut pieces just to match up the area.  I also added some gold rope material.




In this picture you will see the front of this house.  I added three more of the pieces that I also used to make the sign for the side of the house.  I painted them blue with white detailing.  The stained glass window I added under it.



I had an old lamp looking piece that I hot glued over the top of the door.  I gave the front of the house a screen door.  You can also see the rock foundation.



This is a close up of one of the windows.  On the bottom is screen and the top section is the plastic.  I also added some wooden stars and painted them black.




This is a close up of the rock foundation.



This is another photo of the side.  In the picture you will see two planters, these planters were in the party favor section in the dollar store.  I spray painted them black and put in flowers and leaves to make it look like an outside arrangement.



This is the plastic I used for the stained glass window, they come in different colors.




This is a close up of the plastic trophy, that I used for planters.




These are the flowers that I used.  I just cut pieces off of the whole thing.




This is the foam type material you use to make a flower arrangement.  I just wanted to show you what I put into the trophies for the flower arrangements.




This is the plastic trophy.




After doing the bottom deck I decided to add a top.  So I imitated what I did on the bottom floor.  If you look in the photo you will see pictures of a front door that I printed out on the internet.  I also added welcome mats which I printed out on the internet.



This is a close up of the Picture of a front door which I installed, with the welcome mat on the floor.






This is the side of this dollhouse.  I made a window and also printed out this beautiful picture on the bottom of the wall.  You can't see it in this picture but I also installed a small wooden fence across the front of the picture.

 


this is what the roof looks like in the area where you can see into the attic space.





This is what the other side of the roof looks like.  I still have to paint the fake shingles.  I take brown paint and add some water just to make it a little thin.  They I paint all the shingles to match.  When it dries it looks like real wood.




This is the other side of this home.  I still have to install a piece of fencing material and a planter.  I installed a wreath on the chimney.



 
 This is a close up of one of the windows.  I made this window a full screen.  This is not really a real window but is part of the wall and is made to look like a window.  I also glued on hearts on the shutters.
 

 
 


I wanted something over top of the windows.  So what I did was take a water bottle and took off     the bottom.  I then took the bottom and cut it in half.  I then spray painted them red and hot glued them to the house over the windows.  I also added some cabinet handles so you can open up the front.





In this picture you can see the fake stained glass window and I also painted a design around the window.



You can see what the side looks like.  You can also see the roof shingles.



This is the inside of this dollhouse. I made rugs out of felt material and ribbon.  On the inside of the fireplace I down loaded off the internet the inside area of a fireplace.  As you can see it makes the fireplace stand out.  Best of all I didn't have to buy anything, just like the cardboard roof shingles.
 
 



I took some small round mirrors I had and hot glued them around one of the decorative glass pieces to make a nice wall hanging.




I installed a picture on the wall.



I hot glued a boat and also a lamp on the top of the fireplace.  I also gave the fireplace a lift with mirrors and paint.




this is what the inside of the windows look like.  I also added some curtains.




In this picture you can see the fence that was installed.  I also installed the two kitchen cabinet handles.





In this photo you can see the wooden fence I installed on the side.




In this picture you can see on your left a planter I made out of the plastic and rocks.  I also added fake flowers.  I installed a piece of the fence.  The planter was made from the bottom portion of a solar light.





You can see what the bottom of a water bottle looks like as a hang over for the windows.



This is a closeup of one of the planter made also of a water bottom.




In this picture you can see the planter I built from a solar light and rocks.




This is what the inside looked like when I got it.



This is what the side looked like when I got it.  It now has two floors on the side.



This is the 2x4 that was cut and attached to look like a chimney.  I painted it red with white lines.




This is one of the windows that I made.  On the top portion is plastic and the bottom is the wire screen.  I put a popsicle stick across the middle.  I needed this popsicle stick so on the outside I could add a bar across this area on the inside of the window.




This is a close up of the screen door.




this is the front of this house which you can see the other planter on the right side bottom.




This is the front top of the dollhouse.  I painted the roof shingles a brown color.




This is on the inside of the dollhouse the bottom floor.  I also added some lace over top of the windows to make it look like a curtain.



You can see in this picture the lace to make it look like curtains.





This is what the back looked like at the end.  I made a fake window on one side of the chimney with a candle in the window.  I have a white fence, flower pot with flowers.  I hope you got some good ideas to save you money when you are finishing off your dollhouse.  It doesn't have to cost a lot see what you can find around the house or at a garage sale and last of all your imagination. 



No comments:

Post a Comment